manner of Leonardo da Vinci, circa 1495
pen and ink with wash on paper, 12.75" x 9.25"
I am lucky to have purchased this old master drawing at auction recently. I had done just enough research to convince myself of the remote possibility of it being a genuine drawing by the great master himself. I then took a shot. Thankfully it had been overlooked and I was able to buy it at a price I could afford.
I have continued my research and have uncovered some compelling examples (some of which are illustrated below) for comparison. I believe I may have identified the man in my drawing as one of Leonardo's models that show up in numerous life studies, as well as in some preliminary drawings of the Apostles for use in the Last Supper. Obviously, much more research is needed, as well as the thoughts and opinions of Leonardo da Vinci experts and High Renaissance scholars. I intend to add more information to this post in the future.
![]() |
| Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519) reversed for comparison with drawing above |
![]() |
| Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519) |





No comments:
Post a Comment